You know you live in Hawaii when…
- You find a dead gecko in your toaster in the morning and a slimy black lizard in your bed at night. The lizard was the hardest. I was dead asleep and felt something in the small of my back. Groggily I put my hand under there and it came up full of lizard. The geckos I don’t mind, but those black lizards look and move like snakes. I screeched loud enough to wake Pele.
- You get into your closed car on a summer day and your sunglasses steam up when you put them on. Now that’s hot.
- If the menu lists macaroni salad as a vegetable, you know you’re in Hawaii. Locals go to the mainland and complain, “How come they no get plate lunch heah?” Plate lunches (with minor variations of meat) are: teriyaki beef or teriyaki chicken with two large scoops of rice and macaroni salad. They LOVE their starch.
- You’re at the beach and there are chickens running around.
- Everywhere you go people are eating and partying in their garages and car ports, not inside the house.
- A local family has built a barn, planted a large tree or otherwise blocked out entirely their stunning view, completely oblivious. Meanwhile, the haoles are howling if someone plants a twig in front of a view they paid dearly for.
- Termites are eating everything you own no matter what “guaranteed” method you used to control them. Our neighbors down the street tore down their thirty-year-old house and built another right on the same spot because the termites were eating it to the ground. Also, there are no Antiques stores on Maui. There’s a reason for that: the termites ate everything long ago.
A hui hou! (til next time). Thought for the day: There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.
Don’t think you are scaring me just so you can have paradise all to yourself….. WE ARE COMING!!!
Ha-ha! 🙂 We had tenants who moved here from Alaska and I asked him “have I scared you off yet?” He laughed and said no. Like I say on the Home Page, I promise to give it to you straight. How soon is your move? Aloha, Jamaica
Pingback: electrician melbourne